M Laney & Associates is a virtual organization of highly skilled, experienced and professionals dedicated to increasing shareholder value in private companies, improving organizations, both for-profit and not-for-profit, and maximizing the growth in individuals.
We bring an entrepreneurial spirit and a willingness to do what is best for individuals and companies. Our experience ranges from Fortune 50 public companies to small start-up operations. We are experts in creating Advisory Boards for privately held companies; aligning the efforts of the CEO, Managers and the Board to the vision of the company; improving organizational culture; and Strategic Planning.
Michael L. Laney, President
Michael Laney has over thirty-five years of senior level executive management experience as President, Chief Operating Officer or Chief Financial Officer for divisions of Fortune 50 companies as well as smaller, privately owned for-profit companies and not-for-profit organizations. During the last four years, Michael has split his time between Portland and Los Angeles serving the non-profit sector providing CFO and consulting services for four non-profit organizations as well as being on two for-profit advisory boards and one governmental entity.
His expertise is in the areas of board advisory services, strategic planning, SEC and financial operations, marketing and promotion, management information systems, organizational planning, leadership and communication skills. Industries served include energy, education, consumer products, aerospace, electronics and metals distribution, manufacturing, and the entertainment industry. Laney was a senior executive at Walt Disney Feature Animation and then founded and led Warner Bros. Feature Animation as Senior Vice-President, building two animation studios that developed, produced and subsequently released three animated movies.
Michael also has entrepreneurial experience by founding and building his CPA firm in Beverly Hills during the 1970’s. He obtained his CPA certificate in California and was a tax and small business professional at Haskins & Sells, now Deloitte & Touche. Michael has also held teaching positions as Assistant Professor of Accounting at California State University, Northridge and was on the teaching staff for the Management Course for Presidents for the American Management Association. He is the co-author of the book Introverts and Extroverts in Love, Making it Work When Opposites Attract, New Harbinger Press, March, 2007. He and his wife of 43 years, Dr. Marti Olsen Laney, wrote this together after the success of her two previous books, The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World and The Hidden Gifts of the Introverted Child: Helping your Child in an Extroverted World (both by Workman Publishing).
Executive Management Positions:
- Senior Vice-President: Warner Bros. Feature Animation
- Vice-President of Operations: Walt Disney Feature Animation
- Office of the President, Vice-President, CFO: Dacor
- President: Children’s Wonderland, Inc.
- President: Cool Roof of California, Inc.
- Vice-President, Controller: Ducommun, Inc.
- Sr. Vice-President, COO and CFO: Monarch Mirror Door, Inc. (now part of Stanley Works)
- Chief Financial Officer: Education Management Systems, Inc.
- Chief Financial Officer: Opportunities for Learning, Inc.
- Chief Financial Officer: The Energy Trust of Oregon, Inc.
- Assistant Professor of Accounting, California State University, Northridge, 3 and ½ years
- Accounting Instructor, California State University, Los Angeles, two summers
- Instructor, Management Course for Presidents, American Management Association
- President, Financial Executives International, Portland, Oregon Chapter
- Member, Financial Executives International, 27 years
- Member, National Association of Corporate Directors, Northwest Chapter
- Member, Society for Human Resource Management
- Member, Association for Psychological Type
- Member, American School Counselors Association
- Member, Financial Executives Networking Group
- Member, Institute of Management Accountants
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Member, California Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Member, Oregon Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Senior Fellow, The Davis Group, Ltd.
- Member of Hillcrest Associates
- Industrial Metals Supply Company, Board of Advisors—current
- Kravitz & Company, Board of Advisors—current
- Metro-Regional Services for Portland, Oregon—Audit Committee—current
- BDS Marketing—Board of Advisors—in hiatus
- Perceptronics, Inc.—Board of Directors (NASDAQ)—past
- Children’s Wonderland, Inc.—Board of Directors (OTC)—past
- Cool Roof of California, Inc.—Board of Directors—Private—past
- Ducommun, Inc.—Chief Accounting/SEC Officer (AMEX)—past
MBA, Management, University of California, Los Angeles
BS, cum laude, California State University, Northridge
Management Course for Presidents, American Management Association
Program on Negotiation, Harvard University
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Qualifying Program, CAPT
Co-author: Introverts and Extroverts in Love: Making it Work When Opposites Attract, New Harbinger Publications, 2007
In progress: Author, Introverts in the Workplace: Understanding and Appreciating The Strengths Introverts Provide to Organizations (Working Title)
Please check back soon. We are creating a new website.